Thursday, November 19, 2009

Car Karma, Jellyfish, Centipedes and other signs that make me think: "Is the Island Testing Me?"


I can't tell you how many people have told me "This island will test you. It will let you know if it doesn't want you here. It will chew you up and spit you out."

I always picture Tom Hanks from Joe vs. the Volcano as he and Meg Ryan are hurled out of the Volcano and land unscathed in the ocean along with their disaster resistant luggage. Some locals say that the island, just as the Volcano from the movie, decides who will stay or go… but I don't see it that way.

I enjoy the idea that there is this personified "Maui God" that either embraces you into the folds of his palm trees and sandy beaches or rains down a plague of cane dust and centipedes but I can't quite swallow it. I have always had trouble leaving all the control of my life in the hands of a mythical creature.

The reality is that a lot of people come to Maui and find out that paradise is not all it is cracked up to be. They don't get launched off the island by a fire breathing mountain but the effect is similar. Truth be told, this island will test you and how you handle those challenges is whether or not you will stay.

For me, it is all about how you story the challenges in your life that make up your success. We can play the victim to circumstances. We can say "it's not meant to be." We can get angry. We can say "it's not fair" and we can let the tides, the wind, the stinging tentacles of jellyfish decide our life path.

We also have the ability, a chance, to look at that which challenges us as part of our own master plan to become stronger, healthier, more connected to all that is human beings.

I think there are many people who would come to Maui, have my experience and be on the first plane home. Some of you may know my issues with "Car Drama." It has felt like an uphill battle since the beginning. I bought a car that died, I revived it, and it died again. I basically give the old heap of medal to a friend and the car somehow magically rebuilds itself. It is uncanny. Then just as I am walking out to my newer car, thanking my lucky stars to have a decent working vehicle, I see someone has smashed in my window. What? I could story these incidents many ways. I could say that the glorious Maui God has decided that I should go back to the mainland. I could say that the island is testing me and I obviously don't have what it takes. I could also choke it up to "Car Karma." Maybe I was a used car dealer in my past life and made some shady dealings and now I have to pay. Sucks!

I am not going to story it those ways. I like finding a story that gives fair responsibility to all parties but also brings me into some new awareness for myself and gives me a feeling of growth. My car drama-karma has been frustrating to say the least. But through it I have found that I can pull through these things. Sometimes you need to be knocked on your ass a few times before you can get up to see how strong you really are.

When my last incident with the car happened I felt an over-all sense of well being. It came from knowing that whatever comes my way I know how to get through it. It has been a costly lesson (don't even get me started) but one in which I am willing to pay. When I ran into the jellyfish on my surfboard I thought; "Yes! Thank you. This is scary but now I know that I can survive this too!"

The island will test you. I have now been stung by jellyfish, bruised by surfboards, yelled at by locals, frightened by centipedes, broken down on the highway, tire blown up, and that is just to name a few.

These are not signs that the Maui God wants me off the Island.
These are signs that I have been given an opportunity to learn and grow in ways that I never thought imaginable.

I picture the Maui God in all his might looking down from the Volcano and saying (in a great booming voice); "Casselle, we want you here… but we will not let the tropical sun and sandy beaches make you lazy and dull. We want you strong and sharp. You will be given a set of tests to discover just how much power you have inside of you."
I look up to the Volcano and I think "Bring it on Maui!"

So that's my story, and I am sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment