Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Maui Feet

Beware the feet of Maui. I have never seen such a mess of cuts, sores, scaling skin, flaking flesh and devastatingly dirty tootsies in my life. I thought Africa was bad what with the worms that grew under your toe nails but this is even worse. Everyday there is a new catastrophe. Maybe you hit your foot into coral or the fin of your surfboard cut a chick out of your ankle. You may even have the unfortunate experience of running into some Vana (Sea Urchin) with spikey black pokes that gouge into your skin and the only thing you can do is pee on it for some relief.

That is the worst of it. There are more day to day difficulties that the foot must face. For one, the feet are rarely shod. I mean, not wearing shoes is almost an art form here. I know that on the weekends I try my hardest to wear shoes the least amount of time possible. On barefoot hikes the souls of your feet burn on the hot rocks and get sacrificed to the bamboo covered ground. You yearn to find a deep dark puddle to let the them rest in. This ends up in some pretty dirty dogs by Monday morning.


During the week when I am wearing "Shoes", if you can call them that, it's not much better. The flip flops, sandals, slippers, provide me easy in and out access (you always have to take yours shoes off before you enter a home) but not much protection from rocks and dirt and bugs.

Though my feet may complain I have to say I love this shoe-free life. I love seeing the old tootsies jumping from one hot burning rock to another. I love the feel of the cold tile at the Safeway Store. I love feeling the moss under foot as I try to climb up a ledge. And what I love most is the monthly pedicure in town complete with massage and nail art. Behind their friendly Tahitian faces the look of horror as they raise my battered souls into the light is priceless.


I would be embarrassed if I wasn't so proud. What amazing things our feet are.

No comments:

Post a Comment